Thursday, December 23, 2010

Period Drama Men: All I Want for Christmas



What is it about those period dramas that draw me into them? I have found that since I was a young girl the lure of country estates, linen, accents, manners and corsets were like salve for all that ails me. The terrible misunderstandings and final reuniting of couples in the films just gave my heart hope. I wonder sometimes if period dramas are my older little girl fairytales. For me the escape of fairytales when I was very little held a claming effect on me every time I was read a story. Maybe so many of the fairytales we are told as little girls seem to out of this world, steeped in magic and mythical creatures for me. I find they have always connected with me on some level but never spoke to my obsessive-compulsive heart. Now Mister Rochester, Mr. Darcy and Captain Wentworth on the other hand spoke directly to me more than once. I guess what has always bothered me about the fairytale of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and even Snow White is that they all needed saving and were hopeless without the male. Part of the period drama that I love is that the ladies are active participants. Sure they needed saving but so did the men in question. The ladies had minds of their own and were not hapless victims but active participants and had free will. Sure their fate was somewhat sealed by their gender and society but they were not helpless slumbering princesses waiting for their true love’s kiss. They save the men a little too. These heroes need the fine heroines to make them feel more alive, be more whole or to soothe a broken heart. I want this; I relate to this; being part of the story not some helpless victim in the fairytale. It is appealing to be part of a simpler time where there are defined roles and you are the center of someone’s universe and an active participant in your happiness. It is a fine escape from the hectic working Mom of 2 struggling in this economy working to be heard, counted and valued. Maybe it is not just the handsome men in fine clothes with impeccable manners but maybe it was a time when our lives were simpler and more defined. Although the handsome men with manners cannot be all that bad and really I would not mind one bit if one of these fellows ended up with a red ribbon under the Christmas tree for me. Although my dear husband may take issue with that present; so I will keep my period drama men for my fine stories and dreams and hope a bit of the manners will rub off on my 2 boys and maybe the husband. Happy Holidays to you all.


A special thanks to tisreina who allowed me to use her video. Please check out her channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/tisreina

No comments:

Post a Comment