Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Zen life moment in a sea of Choas

I wrote this 3 years ago after I attended my first "band concert"for my son Tom. My day today was very similar to this same day 3 years ago. Tonight he is performing in the Jazz band and concert band after a terrible bout of the stomach flu over the last 2 days. The show must go on. So here is to my wonderful 15 year old developing musician. Break a leg.


Okay so I survived the 7th grade band concert. There are times in your life that are true Zen in the moment kind of episodes. Last night was one of them.
Typical rat race kind of day, whiny kids in the am, sick coughing hacking spouse, work stress  and then…
the end of the day shuffle begins…
(Tap to any square dance music.)
Pack up the office
make the calls
pick up the kids
pacify the kids
make the supper
check on the kids and homework
(refrain: )
gather the spawn
pacify the spawn
pacify the husband
run circles around the mommy.
Feed the dog
Feed the spawn
Feed the Hubby
Clean up the dishes
Start a load of laundry
Ready the troops for outing. (repeat refrain)
gather the spawn
pacify the spawn
pacify the husband
run circles around the mommy.


Okay so the Zen moment after the running of the day. I sat for the first time in the evening. There I sat in a school auditorium and saw my 12 year old enter the stage right sit down and play the cornet. His adolescent long fingers moved seamless over the instrument. The music was like millions of other band concerts around the world uneven but filled with pride and earnest abilities. He was focused and looked good and more importantly sounded good. I had a self-realization. This was my kid. My spawn. If I had done anything I did this good thing. I was there. I was tired Mom watching her child perform in his first real band concert, I was in the moment. Nothing else mattered: the other spawn fidgeting next to me, the coughing hacking anxiety riddled spouse, the job, the dirty house, the bills, the bad choices in my life and the good ones. It was all here, all now focused on my curly haired little man who is now my curly haired bigger little man. To me this boy will forever be the little naked baby running through the house with his cowboy boots and Stetson. Tonight though he was my star, my reason for being and my joy and my true life Zen moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment