Friday, December 3, 2010

I am the Axis and it is killing my back.






Atlas Farnase: Museo Archeologico Nazionale in Naples, Italy


So I have been meaning to do this for sometime now and have to say I have taken advantage of staying home with a sick son to begin my what I hope is a daily activity.

So my ramblings for the day ... mom spotlight.
Much of my days I realize I am not the center of the universe but I am an integral part of my universe. I found this out this week in 2 major ways.
Example 1:
Background givens: I am the time keeper and the gatekeeper of all that happens in this house for the most part. I have sadly enabled my husband 2 boys and my students.

I have always been under the assumption (some say delusion) that if I am hit by a truck some how the males in my house and my students could cope and get the basic daily things accomplished. WRONG! This Tuesday I had to be in the classroom to prep a huge lab I was teaching so off I went after I tried to wake the sleeping family before 7am. I fed the dog, laid out clothes for the youngest and went to school with a sinking feeling something was going to go wrong and no one would get out of bed without the Motherly nagging. Well I was 1/2 right. Somehow my youngest got up; bless his sweet little Jackie heart and got his dad to take him to school. Sadly the 15 year old was not so lucky. While I finally sat down after prepping the lab in the classroom at 9 am I decided to call the 15 year old to make sure he was walking to school for the late arrival day. His voice told the whole story. His groggy stunned, "Hello" instantly clued me into this was not his are you walking to school call but his wake up call. Nice! Apparently his dad just thought the lump of covers in his bed were just a lump and he was already at school so while he blissfully read his papers on the sofa drinking his coffee he was unaware of the slumbering teen who will either have to use light speed to make it on time to school or be late and end up with a detention. Happy end ... the 15 year old has superpower light speed and made his stunned father drive him at warp speed to school.

example 2: My sweet Jackie greeted my on Thursday morning before 6 am with the dreaded phrase that sends chills into a mother's soul, "I don't feel good, Mom, my stomach feels weird..." As I rush him into the bathroom removing the thermometer with the speed of a Ninja the stomach acid bile reverse mechanism we all know and dread kicks into gear. After cleaning up (I'll save the details to your imagination) I had to kick into super speed. Not only do I have to call in sick to work but since I am a teacher I have to make sure my 125 students have something to do so they are not wandering the halls of the high school causing chaos without my supervision. I hand the mantle and lysol to my second in command the hubby and drive to school before 6:30am. I make plans and set up for the substitute in record time and make it back home in time to help Jack one more time.

So lesson learned from the last week just in case I do get hit by the Mack Truck/Bus or Lightening. I better make back up lesson plans for the classroom and have it on my desk in an in case of emergency break glass case and buy the boys their own alarm clocks and show them how to program it. Also and most importantly maybe for short periods my little universe does revolve around me but I am the axis on which it pivots.

No comments:

Post a Comment